The job search can be stressful. It’s important to take a step back and consider how your actions are affecting your mental health.
Gladys Ng Kai Xin of CareerWareer outlined a few steps to help job seekers during this overwhelming time. Here’s what Gladys said:
5 ways to stay healthy while job searching:
1. 𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥. Just because you didn’t get a role doesn’t mean that you’re no good, or that you’ll never get a job. Don’t go down the rabbit hole.
2. 𝐂𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤. Don’t let the job search consume your life. Take periodic breaks by scheduling things that cheer you up, like learning a fun skill or hanging out with friends.
3. 𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 “𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐬” 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞. The job search doesn’t yield results immediately, and it can be a blow to your ego no matter who you are. Carve out time where you can complete tasks that give you a sense of achievement.
4. 𝐋𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐣𝐨𝐛 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬. It’s tempting to devote all the time you have to your job search, but that’s unhealthy. Set aside a specific time for your job search, and stick to it.
5. 𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤. Careers are marathons and it’s important to pace yourself.
But remember: No job search is worth your mental health. Not even the one with your dream company.
Content Source: Gladys Ng Kai Xin